Today, Suburban Scrawl is six years old.
While I can’t believe I’ve been blogging for six years, I also can’t remember what it was like to live life without social media.
Though I have several friends who have blogged for a decade or more (wow!), I still feel like an OG blogger: six years is almost like a whole lifetime in internet years. I belong to a fantastic generation of bloggers–I refer to us as the Jan Bradys of blogging; don’t ask unless you are in the same room or on the phone with me and have about ten minutes–and I see no end in sight, thank goodness.
Last year on my fifth blogoversary I wrote about the knowledge I’ve gained through blogging, including everything I know about social media platforms, working with brands, and even how to co-produce a show on a real stage in a real theater. This year, I thought I’d go a different route.
I have been afforded some mind-blowing opportunities in the last six years as a result of blogging (some directly, some indirectly), many of which never would have been possible otherwise. This list is in random order and not all-inclusive by any means, but it’s fun to see all of these things in one list:
1. I did a workout and dance routine with the Rockettes.
2. I watched a Chicago Blackhawks game from a VIP box.
3. I watched a Chicago Cubs game from one of the Wrigleyville Rooftops.
4. I worked out with Bob Harper and Harley Pasternak (not on the same day!).
5. I was selected as an Ambassador of Skydeck Chicago in the summer of 2012.
6. I met Tim McGraw.
7. I interviewed Katie Cazorla.
8. I have taken lots of different road trips in lots of different Chevrolet vehicles.
9. I have been exposed to various forms of charity work I may not have discovered on my own.
10. I spent a weekend checking out Lake Erie Shores and Islands.
11. I cooked a meal with Stephanie Izard.
12. I have attended parties in some of Chicago’s most awesome spaces.
13. I got a behind-the-scenes tour and a “how to frost a cupcake” tutorial from Sprinkles founder (and “Cupcake Wars” judge) Candace Nelson.
14. I enjoyed tea at The Plaza Hotel in New York City.
15. I’ve gotten an advance look at some of Chicago’s most anticipated museum exhibits, and I was at the actual opening of the National Hellenic Museum.
16. I’ve been in the live audience for interviews with Katie Couric, Guy Kawasaki, Sheryl Sandberg, Kathleen Sebelius, Indra Nooyi, and yes, Martha Stewart.
17. I was asked to try the Dailey Method workout for a month, but I never left and now it’s my home away from home.
18. LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER. (Enough said.)
19. I got a job that I love, doing social media research for BlogHer.
20. I have enjoyed the Windy City Rollers, the Chicago Wolves, the Chicago Sky, the Bristol Renaissance Fair, the Chicago Shakespeare Theater, Drury Lane, and countless other local sports and cultural events.
21. I chatted with Carson Kressley at a swanky party.
22. I met the Jimmy Dean sun, not once, not twice, but three times.
23. I got to watch Wendi McLendon-Covey rehearse before she hosted the 2013 BlogHer Fashion Show, and I was less than twenty feet away from Queen Latifah when she hosted the 2013 BlogHer Voices of the Year.
24. I checked out the food trucks in Austin, Texas while working at the BlogHer Food conference.
It’s been quite an exciting six years, don’t you think?
Even with all of that, for me it always comes back to the people I’ve met. YOU are my favorite part of what I do in this space. I feel like I have learned a little bit of something from each and every person with whom I’ve crossed paths online, and for that I thank you. Yes, YOU!
Let’s get the next six years started off just right, shall we? Group Hug!
That picture of you standing on the glass over the city still freaks me out.
Also: HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!
Yay, you! Congratulations and here’s to many, many more years of fantastic life experiences!
Congrats on six very exciting years, best wishes for many more wonderful adventures.
Congrats on 6 wonderful years, here’s to many more!
Happy Blogiversy I’ m sooooo happy for you, a klink of the glass to all your happiness in the future.
Congratulations on an amazing 6 years! So happy for you! I’m glad blogging brought you into my life. 🙂 xoxo
Happy blogiversary, my friend. I am so happy that I jumped onto this ride, because it brought people like you into my life. Thanks for showing the way.
Yeay!! Look at all you’ve accomplished, Better yet, look at all the FUN you’ve had while doing it. xoxo
HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY! Thanks a pretty extensive list. I’ll forgive you for not adding “meeting another Jen in Naperville” to the lists. LOL! Grateful for you EVERY DAY!
Kari aka Gopher
Meeting YOU will be on my six year anniversary post someday. 🙂
Amazing! Congratulations and Happy anniversary! It’s been a pleasure reading your blog all of these years-thank you for the good times! 🙂
Congrats and CHEERS!
Congratulations and I am SO happy we met, you are number one.
I totally agree; blogging has truly enriched my life, too. Happy for you! Happy Blogiversary.